I’m currently closed to editing submissions for the rest of 2021. I can recommend the following people I have used for developmental editing:
- Ray Collet who holds a Masters in Creative Writing. You can contact Ray Collet website here.
- However, Sue Grimshaw my lovely editor at Random House is also Freelance, so I recommend her too. You can find her at Edits By Sue.
- For a copy editor or line editing – I use Angela Bissell or Ray Collet.
Angela has loads of experience garnered from writing for HMB and doing a diploma in editing. And Ray has a Masters in Creative Writing. Ray also does mentoring and developmental editing.
- For a Proof Reader, I use my sister Leigh Kaye. She’s a teacher and avid romance reader and picks up any mistakes missed by the copyeditor. She costs $250NZ ($165US) You can contact Leigh here.
What I Do
I’m a USA Today Best Selling author, whose very first book was bought by Kensington Publishing in 2010. Since then I have hit the USA Today list three times, won the RomCon Readers Crown Three times (twice for a historical and one for a contemporary), and was a Romantic Times Readers’ Choice Nominee for Best First Historical. I know how to tell a story.
I offer a developmental edit, along the lines of what an editor at any publishing house does for an author. So, if you are self-publishing, or wishing to submit to an agent or editor, this service is crucial for you. I do not offer copy-editing services, see above for my recommendations.
- Not sure what you are really looking for? Read Understanding Book Editors
I try to developmental edit with a keen sensitivity to an author’s style/voice and the critique is a detailed and insightful overview of your manuscript, focusing on substantive elements, such as plot, character, pacing, romantic development, etc. Examples from the manuscript are highlighted in the report and suggestions are made for revisions. I read across a wide range of genres and I focus on keeping up with best-selling stories to look at trends.
I will also provide a detailed:
- Edit of back cover copy at no extra charge.
- Edit of Query/Submission letter at no extra charge
Basically, I will point out anything that I believe would make an editor or agent more likely to reject your manuscript or what would make it a better story for self-publishing.
(NZ$ – $1NZ = $0.68US so $100NZ is $68US approximately)
- Contest or Agent/Editor Submission: Up to 3 chapters and a synopsis $180NZ ($123US)
- Manuscript up to 60,000 words $500NZ ($335US)
- Manuscript up to 90,000 words $750NZ ($500US)
- Manuscripts over 90,000 words – price TBC
Turn around time is two weeks from submission of a word document (sooner, depending on the amount of work required).
If you are looking for someone to polish your blurb only, I offer that service too!
Please email me if you are interested in this service. Payment is asked for upfront via an email I’ll send you via Paypal.
As a busy author and with my own self-publishing schedule, I’m pretty busy. My schedule gets full reasonably quickly and I only take bookings 3 months out.