I saw this card in the shop the other day and had to buy it! I’ve recently been diagnosed as gluten and I have other food intolerances. It doesn’t mean I drop dead if I accidentally eat anything but I do feel really sick!
Thank God, I can still have the odd glass of wine, including my favourite—champagne.
The other weekend I made my first Gluten free Lemon Cake using grounds almonds and mash potato. It sounded really nasty but it tasted fabulous.
Here’s the recipe:
200ml Canola oil
200gm Caster sugar
175gm Ground almonds
250gm Mashed potato, cooked and cooled
3 Lemons, zested
1 tsp Baking powder
1. Heat oven to 180C. Grease and line a 20cm cake tin.
2. Beat oil and sugar until light, then gradually add the eggs, beating after each addition.
3. Fold in the almonds, cold mashed potato, lemon zest and baking powder. Pour into the tin and level the top.
4. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
5. Cool for 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack. Cool completely before slicing.
Variation – a must it was needed
Drizzle the warm cake with a lemon glaze made by heating 4 Tbsp sugar with the juice of 1 lemon.
If you had to choose between your favourite food or favourite bottle of champagne what would you choose? Perhaps champagne should be kept for special occasions only—what special occasion would you open a good bottle of champagne for?